Monday, April 2, 2012

Matt 5:5: How blessed are those who are humble, because it is they who will inherit the earth!


Hmmm...well. What if you are humbled, but not by choice?
I went shopping today at Wal-Mart. I had a $1 off coupon if you bought two Puffs Tissues & since the HUGE multi packs were also on sale, double bonus for me (a lot of tissue, but I have the storage space). I get to check out and the cashier says I can't use it because the computer won't accept the coupon. WHY? The date is good. The quantity is good. What's the deal? Do I blow it off or request him call his manager? We'll, I had the day off and was shopping alone - so manager it up. She comes and says it all looks good, and tells the cashier to just ring it in by hand. I wasn't smug, rude, demanding, or snotty. I said "thank you" and went on my merry way, knowing the rules as an ex-cashier would, right? Ok, so maybe I had a "I told you so," thought cross my frontal lobe before I could help it.
Well, logging my purchases into the computer tonight I notice a discrepancy. Only one of the jumbo multi packs rang up. Not two. The computer was right and I am wrong. So what do I do? Blow my nose into stolen goods? Or go back to Walmart and show them the receipt and honestly pay for my $9 tissues. Well, you already know the answer.
This has happened to me in the past and I've gone back to pay. The looks on the clerk's face is always worth the time, effort and car gas when you say you that you owe them for being under charged. "No one ever does this." So, humbly I will go to pay for my tissues, because if I'm about to inherit this earth, I want it to be a kind & generous one like I'm trying to make it to be, even if it starts with something as small as a tissue.

No comments:

Post a Comment