Saturday, August 11, 2012

So ... How Do You Feel?

May 18 of this year one of my doctor's diagnosed me with gluten intolerance, and I have been living the GF (gluten-free) lifestyle since.  Let me clarify, this is related to but not the same as celiac disease - I do not have this. Gluten is the protein in wheat, barley, and rye that gives elasticity to dough helping it to rise and to keep its shape. It is in so many foods because wheat flour is cheap, easy to produce, and is everywhere, making shopping and eating out difficult.  I've read that it is estimated that gluten intolerance is anywhere from 10-25% of the US population.  It is so misunderstood and misdiagnosed in America because our medical system is powered by medications.  Pharmaceutical Corporations and Medical Research go hand-in-hand.  While there is no medication for celiac disease or gluten intolerance - it's all in the diet - so often times it is misdiagnosed or not diagnosed at all.  European countries are so far ahead of the US in gluten-free lifestyles.
Funny story: I have a GF girlfriend who went to Ground Round for dinner with her husband.  From their GF portion of their menu, she ordered a hamburger.  They served her a hamburger patty, with lettuce & tomato, but NO bun!  (And yes, they do make GF hamburger & hot dog buns).  When she inquired about a bun, they stated that this was their GF hamburger option.  I give her credit: She ate it and paid.  I would have walked out for false advertising - that's not a hamburger, that's a hamburger steak.
The Gluten Connection was a HUGE help to me in understanding the why, how, and the 'now what?' of my new lifestyle by Shari Lieberman and Linda Segall
I also consulted a nutritionist and he said that I was allergic to milk & if I knew that.  I stated that, yes, it came up on all allergy tests I had taken, but that since I wasn't appearing to have any affect on my body, I still drank it daily.  He said that when we put something in our bodies that we are allergic to, it causes a constant state of inflammation - making us more susceptible to other allergies and illnesses.  Now, I still eat the occasional ice cream or cheese, but it's only Silk vs milk for me (& it is GOOD!).  And really - the human body wasn't designed to drink from a cow - but that soap box will have to wait.
Jenny McCarthy wrote the book, Louder than Words. Her son has autism and she has gone through great lengths to "heal" him.  He is on a gluten-free, casein-free (milk protein) diet and he can now speak, learn, communicate, & behave better and has improved concentration/focus.  I would not recommend buying this book and giving this woman a cent - if you're aware of her background and lack of moral beliefs - but it is at the library.  It does use some foul language (she uses the "F" word at doctors when her son has persistent seizures), but her dedication as a mother and heart-wrenching journey, I have to admit, was enlightening.
Lastly, I just finished Change Your Brain, Change Your Body  by Dr Amen.  It was AWESOME.  He talks about the different areas of your brain, what they do, how to exercise them to decrease your anger, improve concentration, improve sleep, decrease anxiety, decrease poor habits, etc. He talks about the pros/cons of supplements vs prescriptions.  He pretty much says for everyone: eat right/healthy, drink water, exercise, sleep 7-8 hrs/night, meditate/pray daily, and take a multi-vitamin supplement.  He also has an appendix at the end of the book for specific supplements and their benefits to your brain & body for certain brain needs.

"So ... How Do You Feel?" is the question I get asked often times by people once they find I've gone GF & pretty much milk free.  Well...
* No longer have shortness of breath, and actually started running every morning before work.
* My resting heart rate has decreased by 20 beats per minute, it was beating too hard and too fast.
* No longer having allergic reactions to "unknown" foods
* Decreased body aches and no more daily headaches
* No longer have a lump-in-my-throat feeling
* Increased patience and concentration (I know, weird, right? But gluten intolerance can actually increase aggression and decrease concentration.)
* My blood sugars are much more stable and I don't get hypoglycemic crashes hardly anymore
* My seasonal allergies are little to nothing this year - maybe its a good year or maybe I'm better (?)

This is a long post, but I wrote it so that I remember where I was before and where I am going.  I think we often times forget how bad we felt until we relapse into the old habits.

"Every day you get better or worse...but you don't stay the same," Bo Schembechler.
So we are supposed to improve our physical, emotional, spiritual, and intellectual self.  It's a constant vocation that I feel drawn to because I'm feeling better all the time.  I hope I can keep it up with the support of those around me who can challenge me and maybe even vice versa. God bless & Shalom.

No comments:

Post a Comment