Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Sparrows & Dust.

Matthew 10:14
"If anyone will not welcome you or listen to your words, leave that home or town and shake the dust off your feet."

This is the scripture I quoted to David when his position, along with 44 others, was severed from work.  I have not been fired from a job (technically - that's another post), so I do not know what it is like to give 100% of your time and talent all for it to be shoved away and unappreciated.  We talked it through and believe that he was let go mainly because he has integrity and his tenancy to stand up for others.  Some companies do not appreciate that in their staff.  That is also why I believe I was promised a part time position that was retracted 3 wks later -- I ask the tough questions.  Some companies just want door mats, robots.  David and I aren't that. No one in our families are so how can we be expected to just do without asking, "why?"

I posted recently a timeline of our job loses, job gains, & house buying and selling.  GOD IS IN CHARGE.  I have not a doubt.  I told my girlfriend at work "if He takes care of the sparrow, he'll take care of us" when we were in the early stages of 2 lost jobs and nowhere to go from there and she asked the tough question..."now what?".  When I left her for the last time 10 wks later, she had given me a beautiful framed picture of an older lady feeding birds and it says "Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies? Yet not one of them is forgotten by God...even the very hairs of your head are numbered.  So don't be afraid, you are worth more than a flock of sparrows."  Ironic as she didn't remember me telling her the sparrow quote.  This is now my new favorite decoration in my home. 

The last mass we celebrated at our home town, I sat in the pew drinking it all in.  My eyes wet with tears.  This was where I was married, where my babies were baptized, where I was accepted into the church.  Just when I thought those around me would notice, my friend Teri stood up and she read these words from the 2nd reading: 2 Cor 12:10 "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness." "...when I am weak, then I am strong."

And so we moved July 11. We attended our first mass at our new parish the next day and what do you think the Gospel was that day?: Mark 6:7-13 "wherever you enter a house, stay there until you leave.  Whatever place does not welcome you or listen to you, leave there and shake the dust of your feet in testimony against them."  And I love that whenever I tell people I'm new they reply with a smile or a handshake and say, "well welcome to town!"

I had to laugh.  I always say God is in control, but when you realize that you aren't the one holding the steering wheel it IS a scary feeling.  You feel watched, out of control, scared, intimidated.  Anyone with an ounce of faith can see He lives.
God is good, all the time.  All the time, God is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment