Friday, July 20, 2018

Time Marches On

I work with people of all ages, and the conversations I have with them m got me thinking about ‘time’ and how fast or slow it goes.  To a child summer is SO LONG that they’re ready to go back to school.  In my minds eye I see a child, bursting with energy, running full speed ahead whilst time is dragging them down, holding them back as if a grandfather clock on a string, tied around the child’s middle.

To an elderly person the seasons and years go by so fast they can’t recall the year. This isn’t always due to dementia...sometimes it does go by so fast.  My minds eye again sees an elderly gentleman, cozy in a recliner, as a cartoon alarm clock like something you would see in Looney Toons show, bouncing around the room with its second hand spinning like a top.

So where is it, where we are actually living our timeline equally, marching at a steady pace neck and neck with our time clock?  While raising my young children many people tell me, “the days are long, but the years are short”. Or “these are the best years. Enjoy them!”  Are we so caught up in like and busyness that we forget to live, to pray, to just be?  I don’t know the answer. Maybe all my many questions will be answered when I get home someday, but then again once I get there will it matter?


No comments:

Post a Comment