Saturday, April 9, 2011

Bireiki

I have such a hard time with Friday meals during Lent because I'm allergic to fish/seafood and I have a spouse who can't just eat a green salad with me for dinner. (I'm not blaming. I can understand that women can live off of rabbit food better then men.) So I'm always on the lookout for tasty vegetarian dishes. Last night was perogies & vegetable soup. I do try to have one meatless dinner a week year-round.

Here's a new dish I found in my Parenting magazine:
6 thinly sliced red potatoes (I left skin on)
6 sliced zucchini (I used 3 zucchini and 3 yellow squash - prettier coloring)
6 sliced Roma tomatoes
EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
Mix: 6-8 pressed garlic cloves, the sliced whites of 3 scallions, & 1.5 T oregano or marjoram.
Brush a shallow baking dish w/ EVOO. Layer 1/2 potato, zucchini, & tomato slices, brush w/ EVOO. Sprinkle on 1/2 the scallion & garlic mixture. Repeat layer and bake for 45 min to 1 hr @ 350. The last 15 minutes - top w/ mozz cheese. This is a dish called Bireiki - a Greek lasagna. Yum! And it was something we both enjoyed.

2 comments:

  1. I have a cookbook you can borrow, The Enchanted Broccoli Forest, everything vegetarian and even some vegan dishes as well. Lots of good stuff in there. Let me know, I can bring it to the family brunch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. will use this recipe sometme, sound great, love Mom

    ReplyDelete