Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Cabbage Casserole

(If you like Sarmas, you'll love this Cabbage Casserole - similiar taste with much less work)
1.5# hamburger
1 C. cooked rice
8 slices cooked bacon
1 small onion, diced
Salt, pepper, & basil to taste
1 head cabbage (boil 5-10 minutes until partially cooked)
1 15 oz tomato sauce
1 15 oz sauerkraut

Brown hamburger with onion & spices. Layer roasting pan with cabbage, hamburger mixture, and top with sauerkraut them tomato sauce. Cook 1.5 hrs @ 350 covered.

*I wrote this verbatim how it was given to me. However, I made mine in the crock pot & it turned out great (remember to still brown hamburger & onions prior to crock-potting). I also made the following changes.
** I didn't pre-cook the cabbage, but I did lay it down 1st in the pot & it cooked nicely.
** I dislike the bacon. Next time I'm going to use either just ground beef or ground beef & pork.
** I decreased it to 1# ground beef vs 1.5#.
** Instead of tomato sauce, I used a 15 oz can of stewed tomatoes and added a little water. I liked that much better.
** The whole dish doesn't have much of a strong sauerkraut flavor, but a mild taste of it. My spouse & brother Derik don't care much for kraut, so one 15 Oz can would be good enough for them. For me, I'd recommend the larger can, jar, or bag. Yum

Bon Appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment