Sunday, November 25, 2012

"Food" for Thought

Have you ever thought of this? 
I heard this on a Christian broadcast the other day and I thought with Advent starting, it was appropriate to share:

Jesus said,  “I am the Bread of Life” (John 6:35) & “I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me shall not hunger, and whoever believes in me shall never thirst.”

John 4:14 "But those who drink the water I give will never be thirsty again. It becomes a fresh, bubbling spring within them, giving them eternal life."

When the Jews were wandering in the desert for 40 years, God rained down “bread from heaven” to sustain the nation (Exodus 16:4).

Jesus is equating himself with bread, Jesus is saying he is essential for life.  The life Jesus is referring to is not physical life, but eternal life. Jesus is trying to get the Jews’ thinking off of the physical realm and into the spiritual realm. He is spiritual bread that brings eternal life.

And where was he laid as a babe?  In a manger -- a nicer word for a food trough.  Jesus was destined to be our spiritual food from the beginning. 

Luke 22:19          
And he took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body, which is given for you. Do this in remembrance of me.”

Simple, but beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment