Tuesday, May 24, 2016

"I forgive you"

From a young age I've been able to apologize.  I learned this easily from my mom.  She was tough on us and she'd lose her temper and would yell at us at times.  (I'm not blaming--I do this too). But if she were in the wrong, she would always offer up an apology.  It didn't happen a lot because we were wrong and needed correcting.  But here is where I learned to apologize and can do so rather easily--if I am wrong ;).

HOWEVER-- that being said I have a very difficult time forgiving.  It happened more in the past, high school & college years, where I would have to forgive someone, even if they didn't apologize since that is what God teaches and it was SO hard!!!   No!!  They were wrong and I should make them feel wrong in my own head for eternity.  Who does that hurt? Them? Don't think so.  

Now I have a husband who I've learned to both apologize to and to forgive.  I've also required it from my kiddos. Kid A: say you're sorry "I'm sorry". Kid B: say I forgive you "I forgive you".  

Now when my 5 yo got permanent puffy paint in her hair, on her new dress, & on my hutch this wk it was HARD for me to forgive her when she didn't tell me about it until it was dried & impossible to get off. But she said she was sorry, I forgave, & the paint went into the trash. 

What's the saying? Not forgiving someone is like taking the poison pill and willing the other person illness. 
I've got a lot of work to do, but God aint finished with me yet.

1 comment: