Saturday, April 11, 2009

Coupon Clipper

I truly respect Dave Ramsey and am finishing up one of his books now. David read his "Total Money Makeover" and I'm reading "More Than Enough". He talks about a debt-free life and how to do a debt snowball to get rid of your debt, one loan at a time. David and I have been doing this and working hard at living frugally so that we can pay off our debt and save. I have become a coupon clipper. I can remember as a little girl, cutting coupons out for my mom and helping to organize them into her coupon book. I have continued this as an adult and tend to impress some store clerks with my savings. There are a number of websites that offer coupons on-line (if your store accepts them, check before you buy). Otherwise I buy the Sunday paper with the best coupons. This was a trial and error process as to which have the best coupons in your area, but when talking to friends, I finally discovered the best newspaper to buy.
I tend to save (on average) about 20% on my grocery bill. If it is less than that, I am slightly disappointed. :) I clip my coupons, organize them, and then check the local ads to see what is on sale and if I have a coupon for it. I bought a $4 tube of toothpaste for .25 with store & manufactured coupons. I check for deals (cereal=5/$10 and then a $2 manif. coupon when you buy the same brand-but check the ounces to get the most for your $). I buy meat in bulk -- extra lean ground beef @ $1.99/pound family pack and separate them into sandwich baggies by the pound to freeze them. And I actually started keeping an Xcel program with average prices
so I can look back and see if yogurt is a good price @ 10/$5. (It is, but I got them at the same store for 10/$4, so maybe I'll wait as long as I still have some for my lunch!) Don't get me wrong, I totally understand that the price of food fluctuates, but this is one of my jobs in this household and it can actually be kinda fun when you look back at your savings. Call it lame, but it's one of my hobbies!

No comments:

Post a Comment