Sunday, May 20, 2012

Gluten Free Me?

I try not to whine or complain and am generally a private person.  Those who know me personally may beg to differ, but really...it's how I feel, yet maybe not the persona I tend to display.  Don't correct me...I did say, bold, & underline the word "try". :)
That being said, my health has wavered for years; including heart issues, fatigue, increased anaphylactic allergic reactions to the most common foods, skin sensitivities, and more.  I've gone to the doctor, tests done, "normal results" return, and a pill is recommended.  I'm not big on meds & currently don't take any prescriptions.  I want answers, not a bandage.  I don't want a beta blocker, I want to know what is causing my rapid heart rate.
Finally it got to be too much.  I was fearful of eating, drinking, & was often getting sick.  I typed up my whole medical history as best as I could recall & went to see a doctor friend of mine on Friday.  There's no complete conclusion, but she believes it's gluten intolerance.  Tests were taken and I am waiting the results.  After researching it, it makes sense & it would cause all my symptoms.  So I am trialing the gluten-free lifestyle.  With my husband supporting me, I'm hoping this journey ends in good results.
Back in the 80's, antibiotics were used, and used a lot, and  I was a sick kid who got them a lot. Those antibiotics reek havoc on the good flora in the intestine.  The small intestines cannot work when out of sync like this and inflammation starts - sometimes affecting many parts of the body.  I am not blaming anyone - this is why doctors "practice" medicine.  I just hate being the guinea pig.  Here's hoping that my new high fiber & protein diet with OTC probiotics aide in the healing process and I learn what its like to be normal again.
Have you ever spoken with someone who has been sick for a while and they finally find out the diagnosis, and while the diagnosis isn't the best, there's a sense of relief on their face in knowing what it is?  That's how I feel.  This isn't a "for sure" diagnosis, and I may not see results for months or more, but there's hope, and that's what I want at this point.
PS: Gluten is everywhere.  It's actually quite depressing.  But if it works, it's a lifestyle I'm willing to accept.

2 comments:

  1. It's kinda amazing how many people I know have become gluten intolerant/Celiac as adults. My cousin has struggled with Celiac disease for years and has her own blog and FB page with help/support for those with gluten intolerance. She's spoken on radio programs and is publishing a book. The Celiac Warrior: www.facebook.com/celiacwarrior & the blog: http://thrivingwithceliac.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing, Heather. I like how she said "It is hard to know what feeling great is to feel like when that last time you felt great was grade school". I'm not that bad, but I can relate. Good readings.

    ReplyDelete