Saturday, September 5, 2009

Cabbage Casserole (Pigs w/o a blanket)

If you like sarmas, you'll love this much-easier recipe!
Cabbage Casserole (Pigs w/o a blanket)

1.5# hamburger
1 C. rice
8 slices cooked bacon
1 small onion, chopped
salt, pepper, basil to taste
1 head cabbage (boil 5-10 min until partially cooked)
1 15 oz. can tomato sauce
1 can sauerkraut
1 can diced tomatoes

Cook rice& bacon. Add to hamburger along w/ onions & spices. Mix well. Layer roasting pan w/ cabbage. Place hamburger mixture on top. Spread sauerkraut on top of hamburger mixture. Add tomato sauce. Preheat oven to 350-degrees. Bake 1.5 hours covered.

I wrote this recipe verbatim from my co-worker. These are the changes I made:
* quarter & freeze cabbage overnight...thereby no cooking.
*precooked my meats & onion on the stove & crumbled my bacon into the hamburger mixture. I didn't like the consistency of the bacon. Next time I will do 1/2 & 1/2 ground pork & ground beef.
* I made multiple layers of the tomatoes, kraut, cabbage & meat mixture in my Crockpot. Everything was cooked ahead of time so when it was warm enough, we ate. That and we don't have to heat up the house with the oven.
Make your own changes to your own personal tastes!

No comments:

Post a Comment