Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

I just finished Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. It was fantastic, all 850 pages, copyright 1991. It is a series and Outlander is the first. I borrowed it from a girlfriend at work. She offered me the other books, but since I get so engrossed in reading that nothing else gets done, I put it off until the cold, slow winter months. :) We have a garage to finish & a garden to harvest before the snow flies, ya know!

Outlander is a magnificent book about a woman living in Scotland in the 1940's when she "falls" back in time to 1744 and has to manage to live in their time, all the while trying to get back to 1945. She is educated as a nurse, but has leave her modern medicine techniques behind and use her knowledge of herbs, flowers, & fungi for healing & antibiodics. It is also a love story with a bit of history and action. It is really well written and a page-turner. I also read it will be made into a movie, but the crew is still seeking out the right director. I highly recommend this book! ISBN#: 0-440-21256-1

2 comments:

  1. Ordered the book on Alibris and can't wait to get into it but might also wait til things slow down or I'm in Texas. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, so I fibbed. Since I will be out of town for a few nights the next couple of months, I did borrow the next book in the series, Dragonfly in Amber. I figured it would be good company in the hotel. But I promise to put my household tasks first before reading. :) ~CB~

    ReplyDelete