Thursday, October 8, 2009

Plans

Have you ever watched a show or movie and it hits close to home? I'm not a TV nut, but tonight on Grey's Anatomy, Dr. Meredith Grey's father is diagnosed with end-stage liver disease d/t years of alcoholism. The younger Dr. Lexie Grey, doesn't miss a beat when she offers herself as an organ donor for her father. Unfortunately she was not a match.
I know there are controversial beliefs on organ transplants, mainly religious. Yet when my Dad was in his bed in the ICU, and Dr. Su was giving us the cold, hard truth, I never thought twice about donating a piece of my liver to my father. I was willing to give him a piece of my liver, a kidney, even a lobe of my lung if he needed it. We were never able to find out if it would have worked b/c his ca was too far spread. I'd do it for anyone in my family.
I have been traveling a lot lately. I kissed my husband goodnight Sunday night and have been in the cities all week on business. I miss him. Being out of my comfort zone scares me & being away from my family for a week makes me think about these things. Sitting in my hotel room watching cable makes me think of these things. If there is any doubt, I want to be an organ donor. It's on my driver's license. I have made my plans, have you?

1 comment:

  1. Watched Grey's also Deed and it hit home,been there, done that, would have done that. Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete