Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Stay @ Home VS Working Moms

I think there is some debate at times as to the working mom vocation vs the stay-at-home mom vocation.  I don't personally care one way or another.  I have made my decision and it works for my family.  It may not work for others. 

I heard this the other day: working moms: treat your job as your hobbyStay at home moms: have a hobby.  You need to do something for yourself.  You don't need to be 100% self-sacrificing and then snarl at your kids because you're "doing all this for them and they should appreciate it, dammit." (insert sarcasm font)  I know a lot of stay at home moms who read, knit, cook/bake (above and beyond the normal 3 meals/day), make homemade "stuff" to sell and profit, study their faith and attend daily mass, etc. 

I tend to analyze what I do to be more efficient and productive to spend more quality time w/ the family.  We eat pretty healthy, but if I can make instant mashed potatoes vs cutting the potatoes, cooking, smashing, and whipping to spend an extra 10 min w/ my child playing a matching game, instant-potato on.  I have also started to spread out my weekend chores throughout the week so instead of 4 laundry loads on Saturday, I do them t/o the week.  Maybe I'm losing "ME" time at night or in the morning.  BUT - my babies are only babies for so long.

Can I put my makeup on a little faster? Can I wake up a little earlier and empty the dishwasher?  Can I ask my family for help?  YES I CAN.  I can lay down my pride in thinking "I can do it all" and ask them for help.  I can let the floor go one more day w/o vacuuming if it means one more game of tickle tag.

This isn't a conclusion.  This whole process is a journey.  I haven't quite got it perfect - it takes daily dedication.  First I needed to find my hobby and while I love to read, sing, play music, exercise, I found I already have a main hobby - its my work.  I'm treating it as such because I love it; it interests me, it challenges me, and it encourages me to socialize, learn, and grow, and above all I get to do God's work and help people.

1 comment:

  1. well said! Every family is different, you gotta do what works for you. Even though I've made the decision to be a stay-at-home mom, I had a terrific childhood with a working mother.

    ReplyDelete