Friday, December 18, 2015

Perfect Hard Boiled Eggs

For years I've struggled with sticky shells, raw or overcooked yolks.  After many experiments and reading others blogs, I have a fool-proof system for the last few months.  It works with fresh eggs and older eggs. I've always heard to buy eggs and let them sit for a week or 2 before using so they peel better. That didn't work. 
Start water to boil w/o eggs in pot.  Add a shake of baking soda to boiling water.  While water is getting up to temp put cold eggs in bowl of warm water - otherwise cold eggs break when put into boiling water. 
Hard boil 10 minutes. Turn down slightly if water starts splashing out of pot, but keep it rolling. Shut off stove & let eggs sit 5 minutes.  Immediately give them an ice water bath & place bowl in fridge. 
That's it. 
I had bought a cheap egg timer so that I knew when the centers were done, but I no longer use since I have a method. 
Now this works with my glass top stove, which stays hot after turning off.  This technique may or may not work with a gas stove, for instance, so covering the pot to keep the heat in that last 5 min may be necessary. 
Maybe not everyone boils eggs as much as we do, but if making egg salad sandwich or deviled eggs, these eggs practically slide out of their shell. This is a plus for a 2 yo who is adamant about peeling her own eggies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment