Saturday, January 21, 2012

Allergies are Inherited? Yes!

I am putting this out there so that more people are aware: allergies are indeed inherited. "If you or anyone in your child's family has a food allergy or allergic type disorder (like asthma or eczema) or if your child has had a food allergy in the past, then you should wait to introduce high allergen foods". There's no guarantee that withholding high allergen foods are going to keep your child from acquiring them, but it never hurts. I do have allergies and am susceptible to eczema - very much so as a child, and my food allergies are worse now as an adult. Therefore, I am the mean Mommy who will not allow her child peanut butter until age 3 or eggs until age 2. I don't want my kids to live in fear for their lives every time they go to a picnic, restaurant, or potluck, like I do. Imagine that everytime you put something in your mouth that it has the potential to kill you - even things that you have eaten in the past. That's what I deal with daily. The most common food allergies are to: Milk (got that) Eggs(nope) Fish(got that) Shellfish(got that) Tree Nuts(got that) Wheat(nope) Peanuts(nope) Soybeans(nope)
All I ask is this - don't take offense when someone doesn't take a scoop of whatever you brought to a potluck because they may just be afraid of taking their last bite of food & having their throat close and die. Or that of their children. I've actually had people roll their eyes when I won't eat a dish they made that is peppered with almonds. And if I can do this small thing for my child, putting off certain foods until she's more mature, I know that I've done the best I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment